roychong 0 Newbie Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm keen to use Access as a client application to access data from a MySQL database. The reasons are Access for its strength in reports creation and MySQL for its stability and scalability. I also intend to site the MySQL database with a web hosting service provider. This means I'll be trying to access the database over the Internet using MS Access.

I have managed to access MySQL using MS Access through MyODBC driver and get everything running well. But they are all siting in the same machine. To place the database over at the web hosting service provider end and access it will be my next step.

This is where i need help. When I setup my database at MySQL i need to grant access rights to users by using the SQL command "GRANT". The command would require the IP address of the accessing party which in this case is the machine that house my MS Access client. The problem is that my machine is accessing internet via an Internet Service Provider that assigns dynamic IP address to users. Being dynamic I will have problem typing an IP address for the accessing client when setting up at MySQL database. What can be done?

More info about setting up the Access/MySQL combo can be found at
http://www.nusphere.com/products/library/devshed_mysql_odbc.htm

Hope I'm not confusing anyone. But if i do, pls drop me a line. I'll clarify.

And any thanks to anyone keen to help.

Cheers!
roy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.