lucid_dev 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

I am relatively new to designing in ASP and this is my first form. I hav created a RadioButtonList within a FormView and one of the items is an other which, when selected, should pass focus onto a textbox for the user to type their 'other' reply. The code i have so far is...

<asp:RadioButtonList ID="radQuestion" runat="server" SelectedValue='<%# Bind("question") %>'>
                        <asp:ListItem>Printed Advertising</asp:ListItem>
                        <asp:ListItem>AEG Website</asp:ListItem>
                        <asp:ListItem>Broadcast</asp:ListItem>
                        <asp:ListItem>Radio</asp:ListItem>
                        <asp:ListItem>Television</asp:ListItem>
                        <asp:ListItem>Other</asp:ListItem>
                    </asp:RadioButtonList>
                    <asp:TextBox ID="txtOther" text='<%# Bind("question") %>' Visible=false runat="server" />
                    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="requiredQuestion" runat="server" ControlToValidate="question"
                        ErrorMessage="* Please tell us where you heard about the competition." Display="Dynamic">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

and in the code behind file is...

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        RadioButtonList radQuestion = (RadioButtonList)FormView1.FindControl("radQuestion");
        if (radQuestion.Text == "other")
        {
            TextBox txtOther = (TextBox)FormView1.FindControl("txtOther");
            txtOther.Visible = true;
            SetFocus(FormView1.FindControl("txtOther"));

}

This is creating a custom user control so there is no form tag to attach a onload attribute to.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jason

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.