I have a table with several columns, the two relevant columns for what I need to do are invoiceNumber and stockNumber. The scenario here is that it's a table of invoice information, so each invoice can have and will most likely have multiple rows in the table which represent each line item sold on the invoice.
I need to pick out only the invoices that have a stockNumber that begins with the letters "CC". The "CC" items are an extended warranty that was sold.
So in other words I need to get all the rows for invoices in the table that have a "CC" stockNumber so that I can do some further manipulation of those invoices.
An example of the rows for an invoice that has a "CC" stockNumber in one of the rows might be like this:

invoiceNumber   invoiceDate customerNumber  stockNumber soldQty soldPrice
    -------------   ----------- --------------  ----------- ------- ---------
    489670          2013-04-11  25116           LR76003-34  1       899.99
    489670          2013-04-11  25116           LR76003-08  1       0.00
    489670          2013-04-11  25116           CCCOMBO     1       99.99

I would need to get all those rows.

An example of the rows for an invoice that does not have a "CC" stockNumber in any of the rows might be like this:

invoiceNumber   invoiceDate customerNumber  stockNumber soldQty soldPrice
-------------   ----------- --------------  ----------- ------- ---------
4934170         2013-04-11  30738           OCT477-8    1       359.99
4934170         2013-04-11  30738           OCT477-6    1       116.99

I would need to completely skip these rows since none of the rows have a "CC" stockNumber.

I hope I'm making sense with this, thanks for any suggestions.

The usual way is to use wildcards. You didn't say what database you are using so I'll just give you the one for MS SQL.

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE stockNumber LIKE 'CC%'

This selects all records where stockNumber starts with CC. Other databases may use other characters for wildcards. In MS SQL, "%" matches any string and "_" matches any single character. More information is available here

Apologies for not specifying the db type, it is MS SQL. Thanks for responding but I might not have explained my need clearly. If a particular invoice happens to have a row whose stockNumber is LIKE 'CC%', I need to get EVERY row that is associated with that invoice, not just the CC row. So in the example I gave above, I would need to get all 3 rows for invoice 489670, not just the CC row. Hope this helps explain it better.

Sounds like a sub-select.

SELECT * 
FROM Stock
WHERE invoiceNumber IN (
    SELECT invoiceNumber 
    FROM Stock
    WHERE stockNumber LIKE 'CC%'
)

@pritaeas and @Reverend Jim -You missed last line

An example of the rows for an invoice that does not have a "CC" stockNumber in any of the rows might be like this:

So i think so this must be solution to spowel4 problem.From the problem i think he want all rows except the one having starting with 'CC' in stockNumber

SELECT * FROM Stock WHERE stockNumber NOT LIKE 'CC%'

I need to pick out only the invoices that have a stockNumber that begins with the letters "CC".

;) perhaps he needs to make up his mind first.

pritaeas, your solution of

SELECT * 
FROM Stock
WHERE invoiceNumber IN (
    SELECT invoiceNumber 
    FROM Stock
    WHERE stockNumber LIKE 'CC%'
)

seems to work, thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.