I have a listbox and a datagrid.

When the form is loaded the listbox is filled with a list of tables from a selected database (SQL 2008).

sqlstr = "SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE' ORDER BY TABLE_NAME"

Then I have a SelectedIndexChanged that populates the datagrid with the contents of the selected table.

Dim ConnString As String = mySQLconn

Dim ds As DataSet
        Dim dv As DataView
        Try
            Dim SQLConn As New SqlConnection(ConnString) 'The SQL Connection

ds = New DataSet
            dv = New DataView

Dim ad As New SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM " + lbListAllTables.SelectedItem, SQLConn)
            ad.Fill(ds, "SelectedTable")
            dv.Table = ds.Tables("SelectedTable")

Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = dv
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

This works just fine if the table name is one word (clients) but if it two words (setup client) I get a 'Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'setup'' error.

First of all, you should use parameters instead of concatenating query strings. That in itself might resolve the issue but either way you can add brackets around the [table name] so the database knows.

Dim ad As New SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM '" & lbListAllTables.SelectedItem.ToString & "'", SQLConn)

i have to agree with TomW. it is very unsafe not to use parameter in sql queries.

This is my first day working with datagridview etc so I have no idea how you would complete the same thing with parameters.

Here is an example.

Also in you example, a dataview is just making an additional copy of your datasets table. You dont really need it unless you want to filter the results further.

sqlstr = "SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE' ORDER BY TABLE_NAME"
Dim ConnString As String = mySQLconn

Dim ds As DataSet
        Dim dv As DataView
        Dim cmd As New DataCommand

Try
            Dim SQLConn As New SqlConnection(ConnString) 'The SQL Connection

ds = New DataSet
            'dv = New DataView

Dim ad As New SqlDataAdapter()

cmd.Connection = SQLConn
            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
            cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM @TableName"
            cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@TableName", "[" & lbListAllTables.SelectedItem & "]")

ad.SelectCommand = cmd
            ad.Fill(ds, "SelectedTable")

'dv.Table = ds.Tables("SelectedTable")

Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables(0)
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

Thank you all so much for your help. When I try to use you code I get a Type 'Sql.DataCommand' is not defined error.

Do I need to imports something?

DataCommand is defined in Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal but you could use an SqlCommand which is defined in System.Data.SqlClient

My fault, Sknake is right - the command object is actually sqlCommand not datacommand. See what I get for coding in this text box with out the autocomplete features... lol

Thanks for the help, working good.

Do I have to setup something different to update the database if users make changes in the datagridview ?

Yes. You have Select Queries, Update Queries, Insert Queries, and delete queries. In your example you provided the select query:

cmd.Connection = SQLConn
            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
            cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM @TableName"
            cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@TableName", "[" & lbListAllTables.SelectedItem & "]")

ad.SelectCommand = cmd

Take a look at ad.UpdateCommand , ad.InsertCommand , and ad.DeleteCommand on your SqlDataAdapter

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.