hello everyone,
Ive been trying to alter strings and i am having a very difficult time altering the vlaue after i split them. i understand what i am doing when i split the input(String[] word = phrase.split(" ");), thanks to this site.. and how i am then able to alter the characters and positions such as "Character.toString(word[0].charAt(0)).toUpperCase()". However, anything further than this i am totally confused. For example. my homework requires me to retrieve the first letter of users 3 words and create an acronym. i have successfullly done this but wanted to display an error message if user enters less than or more than 3 words. i tried setting up some if and else statements but compiler slapped me and called me stupid. Also, once i split the words, is it possible to to capture the first letter for all the users input whether its 3 or 30 words?

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
import java.lang.*;
public class ThreeLetterAcronym
{
    public static void main(String []args)
        {
            String phrase = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Please enter 3 words for me to program.");
            String[] word = phrase.split(" ");
            String acronym = 
                Character.toString(word[0].charAt(0)).toUpperCase() +
                Character.toString(word[1].charAt(0)).toUpperCase() +
                Character.toString(word[2].charAt(0)).toUpperCase() ;
                JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You chose: " + phrase + " . The acronym for the following is " + acronym);
        }//checked on oracle's tutorials for splitting strings. this way seems way easier but having difficult setting error for anything above 3 words.

}

our class has not yet tackled splitting phrases,(which is why i am struggling but this way seems much more clean and simple) but if you could point me in right direction to research would be greatly appreciated.

your array "word" contains one entry for each word in the input.
word.length tells you the nunber of entries in the array
you can test that value to be >= 3 in an if test

if that's not enough of a hint, get as far as you can and post your best attempt(s) here - someone will help.

Thank you much! took some guessing and testing but I got it! appreciate your time=)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.