Hi,

I am developing some PHP code for a client and part of the code must send emails. My development environment is using Eclipse on Windows. I want to test the email functionality from my local machine. I have to set the values in php.ini file but I am not sure how to specify all the settings. I understand that I must use a SMTP server and have one that run on my website which runs on Linux. I can copy all my code there and let that send to my email to test it.

The available settings in my php.ini file is as follows:

; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = webtest@localhost

My question is this: Can I change the settings in the php.ini file to use the smtp server on my website to send the mail from my localhost via the smtp server on my website? If I can do this then how do I specify the username and password in the php.ini that must be used to log into my smtp server and send the mail?

Thank you.
Peter.

Hi Peter,
you could use your webhosting's SMTP server but PHP doesn't support SMTP authentication out of the box. You have two options:
a) Either you will use your Internet provider's SMTP server (your home/work ISP) because then I believe you won't have to use SMTP authentication (authentication is usually done by your IP address)
b) or you will use a library like XPertMailer http://www.xpertmailer.com/ instead of PHP built-in function mail(). Then you will be able to use SMTP authentication and a SMTP server of your choice.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Hi Petr Pavel,

Thank you for the feedback, I will check out the XPertMailer you suggested.

Peter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.