Honestly, I don't really like the "Recommended Answers". It made us need to scroll more in order to see the replies...

Hi John,

Thank you for your opinion. That feature has been around for a decade or so because it’s meant to filter out the fluff of a long discussion and give a quick way to just get the answer to the OP’s question. I will take your recommendation to remove it under advisement and put some thought into how I could achieve the same thing with less scrolling.

This is a change in how it worked before.

I swear i haven't changed anything on my end, but my browser has been doing the animated scrolling thing with Chrome for quite awhile now (I can't recall when it started.) did you recently update your web browser?

Browser updates all the time. My view is to not modify settings so I am more likely to see what the majority out there see.
That said, do you test against a few browsers on Android, iOS, Apple OS, Windows and Linux?

I'll reveal that last year saw the end of any Apple products for me as Apple could not resolve an Apple account issue. So no more Apple gear for me or our office so I have to let others test for iOS now.

My primary computer is a Macbook Pro where i test with Safari and Chrome. My secondary computer is a Dell workstation running Windows 10 where I test with Edge. i used to have Firefox but I dont recall why I didn't reinstall it when i reformatted quite awhile back. And then I have an iPhone.

We are a mac home because my fiancé is an engineering manager at Apple and he finds it personally insulting when I don't use the products he works so hard on. The Dell workstation was a ridiculously expensive beast that used to be my primary computer 5-10 years ago, but now is starting to show its age.

I felt let down by Apple about my account. It was my fault for not writing down the answers to my security questions but to have no recovery method for that meant that I could not deregister my two iPhones and give them away to family members. Instead they had to go to a local third party repair shop to be used as source for parts.
Because of this, Apple products are not going to be an option for us. Apple and the Apple store didn't see why I thought this was a problem. They said to buy a new phone and create new accounts which meant losing what apps I had on the old phone and account.

As such, I am now free from Apple.

It was my fault for not writing down the answers to my security questions but to have no recovery method for that

I know this is a moot point by now, but did you set up a recovery method in your Apple account, such as with a backup email + phone number?

Yes I did. That system works for password recovery but at the time there was no path to reset your security questions which are the challenge when you want to deregister a phone so it can go to a new owner. No problem with name and password, it's something else and I found that Apple and the Genius Bar to be no help as it appears this is the way Apple intended it to be. I used to admire and use Apple products but after this, can't use or recommend any product that has a built in trap system.

Just updating this thread to let you know I'm still trying to figure out a workaround for smooth scroll. I really like it when you post a reply, and instead of the page jumping to your latest post, which can have a bit of a disorienting effect as to what happened, it smoothly scrolls up to reveal your new post. However, I can understand how some people might find it takes too long when you click a link to take you to the last post in the thread, and you have to wait for it to scroll all the way to the bottom. However, it seems to be an all or nothing "hint" that can only be customized from the end-user's side ... each browser chooses how and where to implement it, and whether to make it an optional setting for the end-user.

To be honest, I really would like for browsers to implement it such that it smoothly scrolls when you click an on-page anchor link (that jumps to a different portion of the same webpage), but not to do it when you click an anchor link on a different page, where it first loads the page and then scrolls all the way down it.

I feel like I can definitely see the benefit in the first case, where it's easier for the end-user to understand what they're looking at, in the greater context of the page, when they click a link and are scrolled from one section to the other. For example, click the different sidebar elements here or here.

However, I think that it's unnecessary when you're navigating to a different page, because you're expecting for the entire page to change and to have to re-orient yourself anyways. For example, I think it's unnecessary when I'm chatting with you here and then I send you this link. You're expecting to have to completely reorient yourself so the extra animation can be unnecessary, no? Some UX experts feel like it helps the end-user have clarity as to what they're looking at in the greater context of the page they arrive at. Otherwise, someone might not necessarily realize they were taken to some random place in the middle of the page.

On the other hand, when posting a reply, hitting submit, and having the page flicker and jump and suddenly you're looking at different content, I think is more jarring than the smooth scroll that animates its way from the editor textbox to your new post.

Not sure if that made sense, but that's my rant.

Put me in the other camp. I want to view to jump to the item. Scrolling is visually awful and this is on my tablet and PC. If a site couldn't be fixed, it would be a reason to reduce my visits to said site.

I'm not sure what other camp you're referring to since I'm pretty much agreeing with you in my rant?

You may agree but as of now I had to change a setting in Opera and Chrome to stop what you call animation/scroll. Daniweb is the ONLY site that I saw this and it only occured after your recent updates.

-> But hey, if you like scrolling, mission accomplished.

This automated scrolling thing is one of those things that once you see it, you can't unsee it! I never noticed it until our discussion, and now I am finding it done everywhere! I just went to go tweak some of our Cloudflare settings (the CDN we use, which is quite popular), and I ran into it there.

commented: Scrolling. Mission accomplished. +0

Honestly, I don't really like the "Recommended Answers". It made us need to scroll more in order to see the replies...

There's now a button that you could click to collapse it and save yourself the scrolling. Does that fix it for you?

commented: yup, it looked better now +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.