The front page seems to fill with duplicates. I'll paste what I'm seeing but here I am again finding the front page a place that I only check out to see if there's been any change for the better. Today, it's a reminder why I don't go there.
Examples:
image_2022-05-03_095315145.png
image_2022-05-03_095241769.png

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I only scroll through it to quickly detect new spammers.

We’ve been through ten million versions of the homepage and none of them have ever worked for forum regulars. The current feed is what was in use during our peak, 2008-2011 years.

I think the latest topics and latest post feeds are best designed for regulars. Recommended feeds perhaps too.

commented: My question stands at "How do I remove those duplicates?" +0

They’re not duplicates. They’re different actions taken upon a single thread. With the duplicates removed, only 0-2 cards would be shown, and then you guys had the opposite problem with me.

Thanks Dani, you made me chuckle. I don't have a problem with you. The front page as you stated is only for regulars.

Where are those Recommended feeds?
Also, that Related Topics is always stale. Right now top item is from 8 years ago.

In all seriousness the reason I asked above is that it looks buggy to those I show this site to. I have to remember to log out before I show them the site.

The front page as you stated is only for regulars.

No, quite the opposite. It's not for regulars.

Where are those Recommended feeds?

It's what happens when you click 'Read' at the top of any page and are brought to Topics Recommended for You.

Also, that Related Topics is always stale. Right now top item is from 8 years ago.

That's on purpose ;) From an SEO perspective, we use an algorithm to make sure that the list of topics is spread out enough that you can reach all forum threads on the site in 4 clicks or fewer off of the homepage.

In all seriousness the reason I asked above is that it looks buggy to those I show this site to.

Some say buggy. Others say just not enough fresh content to show you.

I get it now. Much of the site is tuned for SEO. I don't know why I keep forgetting that. Marking as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.