While going through new posts this morning I noticed a change in behaviour. Yesterday, if I clicked on the sprocket to the right of a thread title I got a pop-up menu (mark as read, etc.). Today the menu pops up briefly before I get taken to the thread. There is no opportunity to pick an item from the context menu. I've tried it in four different browsers (Brave, Edge, Firefox, Vivaldi) with the same result on each.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Thanks for reporting this. It’s a bug introduced yesterday when converting actionable <a> tags to <button> tags. I’m still in bed after a late night (coding said change) and I’ll fix it as soon as I make my way to my home office.

It should be fixed now, but you might need to clear your browser cache.

Happening in the exact same place? Try clearing your browser cookies perhaps?

Ah, nope, it’s happening for me too. I’ll look in a little bit. Still in bed again.

OK so the weirdest thing just happened. The file was reverted back to its original buggy state and somehow not checked in on git. Was I dreaming yesterday?

I must have made the change, uploaded it, but not pushed it to git, and then somehow it reverted??

Also, out of curiosity, what do you use that dropdown menu for?

Sometimes I select "Mark as Read", and sometimes I select "Watch Topic". When I scan the thread list for unread (by me) threads and the topic is SEO, java, or PHP, if the latest post is by you or rproffitt (for example) I know there is no need for me to review the thread so I just "Mark as Read" and move on. I have no expertise in those areas so I have nothing to add.

Possibly, but since I keep getting recommended to answer questions in areas for which I have no expertise I'm not willing to just accept what some algorithm "thinks" I'd be interested in. Also, I do check those other areas for posts which are

1. in the wrong area (except, apparently my posts)
  2. in violation of community rules

Possibly, but since I keep getting recommended to answer questions in areas for which I have no expertise I'm not willing to just accept what some algorithm "thinks" I'd be interested in.

Those are two very different algorithms. One recommends content for you. The other matches question askers with potential answerers (based on the answerer's history of engaging with that particular member, or other members that fit similar profiles).

In that case I'll have a look at "recommended" and see how it goes.

Not much difference. I still see the SEO threads. It's easier to just ignore them. Plus, by having all threads visible I may come across something new. Likewise I wouldn't want to see only books, music, or TV recommended for me. That's not the way to be exposed to new things.

Someone once said that a mind is like a book. It's not much good unless it's open.

The idea is for the lower quality stuff and irrelevant stuff to be filtered away, so if that isn't happening, I'm going to investigate this upcoming week to see what's going on there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.