When I get onto Daniweb I notice that the private message icon (speech bubble) next to my avatar has a little red dot. I believe that was to notify me that I have one or more PMs waiting to be read. However when I go to the message centre there is nothing new and when I return to the previous page (even doing a refresh) the dot is still there. Is this normal?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,

I need to work on making it a better user experience. My first guess is what is happening is that you received a new message belonging to a conversation that you have previously archived, so the conversation isn't showing up for you. Try this:

1. Click on the speech bubble with the red dot
  2. At the top of the conversation list, to the left of where it says Username Search, is a little Filter icon
  3. Click the Filter icon and then select either "New" or "Notifications"

Do your new messages show up when you select either of those?

Indeed they did. And once displayed, the red dot went away.

What would make it a better user experience?

Should we not show a red dot if you get a new message in a conversation you've previously archived? Since you have to manually click the Archive button, we assume you don't want these conversations to be shown by default for a reason.

I've been thinking about this a bit more. I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a catch-22 because, on one hand, you archived the conversation to hide it for a reason, and on the other hand, not wanting to see the conversation in your chat list doesn't necessarily mean you never want to be alerted if a new message comes through.

I keep a small number of people in my non-archived list. I only archive people to get rid of the mostly automated messages. If someone in the archives sends me a new message I am fine with the name popping back into the active list.

The way it currently works is that the conversation is unarchived the next time you actively visit it. Since you were the one to manually click to archive it, I wanted you to also be the one in control of when it would get unarchived. I thought it would be a poor experience if you manually archive something, and then it's someone else's activity that is capable of undoing your preference.

OK. At least I know the red dot really means there is something new, and now I know where to look.

The thing is, I agree that it's a bad user experience seeing a red dot, and then clicking and not seeing anything new. I'm just unsure of how to improve this part of the experience without sacrificing a different part of the experience (namely, where you manually set a preference setting, and then some other user's behavior unsets that preference for you).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.