How many of you have seen somebody make helpful comment after helpful comment, or release great hacks/code, and then head over to their site because you were impressed with what you had seen of them on other sites?

Probably most. :)

The converse applies...I know of a few people whose sites I would have to literally stumble across before I would actually go there, simply from what I have seen of their posts on various fora.

So, instead of focussing solely on spamming..getting your site known through direct advertising, think about the simple act of being a good contributor, and the people will come to you.

Kall's thought for the day. :)

Kall your always thinking up the good stuff! Keep up the good work.

How many of you have seen somebody make helpful comment after helpful comment, or release great hacks/code, and then head over to their site because you were impressed with what you had seen of them on other sites?

Probably most. :)

The converse applies...I know of a few people whose sites I would have to literally stumble across before I would actually go there, simply from what I have seen of their posts on various fora.

So, instead of focussing solely on spamming..getting your site known through direct advertising, think about the simple act of being a good contributor, and the people will come to you.

Kall's thought for the day. :)

:) Good thought... I had kept one cool mod just to myself till now ( and on vb.nl). After reading your post, i am inspired to release it on .org too.

(So that Rex can also chip in and rease the mod he made for my hack ;) )

That's an exellent way to put it.

It's sometimes hard when you have a new forum and you are desperate for people (*cough* ;) ) but it doesn't make me or my forum look good just to spam random begging.

I like helping people. I am by no means an expert on anything but I do think I can offer some good advice some times. I don't generally find the right place where I can feel I can do that but this place looks like it. :)

With that said, where is your forum signature advertising your site, Kall? ;) Hehe.

With that said, where is your forum signature advertising your site, Kall? ;) Hehe.

Actually that doesn't seem to be working right now. I'd certainatly like to check out Kall's site.

Edit:

Whoops. Just figured out how do that. Sorry. n00b. :o

Really awesome site BTW Kall!

There is a 10 post minimum to have a signature. Both you and Kall have 10 posts ;) Hint hint nudge nudge.

That is an excellent suggestion Kall, spamming will never get you good members, Usually people who will follow you to your site because you made a good post or helped them will end up being your friend or atleast on good terms with you and thus make good members on your site.

I say being a good member on *any* random forum isn't good enough. You need to be a good member on a similar forum with people of similar interests as your own forum and you'll get better results.

There is a 10 post minimum to have a signature. Both you and Kall have 10 posts ;) Hint hint nudge nudge.

But...but...I *have* a signature...it just ain't showing up in any posts!

*wonders if it will show up now*

Well, it's there now.

UPDATE post set showsignature=1 where userid=20928 ? :)

I agree completely --

Proving yourself to be a diligent responsible, and respected member of ANY community will attract visitors to your profile links, and as an owner of a community myself, I couldn't agree more that spamming has an adverse effect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.