Hi guys,
I just completed my blueprint in webdesign on skillcrush, but still i'm stuck with box model and typography. There is lots of css going on the background. Can i use bootstrap 3 to design any website, it provides a framework i suppose. Is it the right time to learn bootstrap 3 or should i stick with html5 and css3 and hand coding.
Another intimidating software is muse, why the headache of coding when i can do it on a WYSIWYG editor. Lots of thoughts running in my head what to do where to start.
Kindly advise guys.

Member Avatar for diafol

There is no "one solution fits all" answer to this. I use Bootstrap 3 (B3) for some projects, hand code others.
Learning HTML5/CSS3 will undoubtedly be of massive benefit to you. After all, in order to lever B3 to appear how you want requires a good understanding of these. The downside of B3 is that, if you use it 'out of the box', then your site will look exactly like a million others. So, you can introduce themes, and there are many sites offering free and paid ones.

I recently had to knock up a personal site to advertise my tuition business and I didn't really have the spare time to hand craft it from scratch, so I used B3 and downloaded a free theme from TemplateGarden - a one-page scolling affair. I'm pretty happy with it (http://ardpont.co.uk/) as it "did what it said on the tin". I probably saved a day or two - time that I spent coding a site from scratch for a client.

Using a B3 theme may seem like an anathema to a web designer, but for a back-end developer like me, without the huge skill set of a front-end developer, it certainly improves my workflow. You get all that responsive goodness too, which is pretty much essential for modern sites. I didn't realise how much until I looked at my site's traffic - 75% of visitors were using mobile or tablet.

Muse - are we talking about Adobe Muse? Never used it. So I can't comment. But if you're looking for an editor, there are free ones out there - not WYSIWYG maybe - but decent Editors / IDEs. I do think that testing in multiple devices and multiple browsers is the way to go though, but perhaps I'm old-fashioned.

So, use B3 by all means, but don't use the default look. Also keep on learning and developing your skills with markup and styling. My 2p.

commented: amazing, so am i use B3 all the time +2

Thats a huge response thank you diafol.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.