Hey guys,

Need some advice.

I recently upgraded some components in my PC. Here is my current setup-

1) Q6600 Intel Quad Core (2.4 GHz)
2) 4 GB DDR2 PC-4200 memory
3) NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT video card
4) Stock hard drive (7200 rpm SATA 3 GB/sec)

I want more speed out of my system. Mainly, the computer is used for web design (use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, FileZilla, etc a lot), as well as watching movies and the usual...
I don't play games on the computer much (that's what god invented the PS3 for!), so that isn't a consideration for me.

With my current setup, would I see bigger gains by upgrading to a 15000 rpm hard drive, or would it be better to get a motherboard and better memory and overclock the Quad Core?
After looking around, I saw that it is fairly easy to OC the q6600 to around 3.4-3.6 GHz....so I guess basucally what I'm asking is which would make the computer run faster overall, the hard drive or the OC'd processor?

Thanks!

What speed FSB do you have on your current board? I am betting you Quad Core is sitting idle the majority of the time.

Also when is the last time you defragged you HDD?

Still have the stock motherboard, which has a FSB of 1066 MHz. If I overclock, I'll upgrade to a board that supports 1333MHz.

Also, I defrag regularly, usually once a week.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.