HP Pavilion ze4500. Worked fine, then the next morning it lights up with power but fails to progress through any of the boot. The cd does spin--putting in the XP cd, the cd lights up a few times but it will not boot from the cd.

Have tried the reset, XP disk and some voodoo.

Whaddyathink?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

jeb22,

What do you see on the screen? Nothing?...why don't you try to see if anything needs re-seating that has come loose. (specifically the video ribbon cable) Try downloading a Win98 boot disk (bootdisk.com) and see if you can boot with a floppy. I choose Win98 because it only requires one diskette.

We'll move from there if everything is tight and dry and you still see no improvement.

If, on the other hand, you do see something/anything on the screen, please be sure to report that in detail.

J_

There is just on evertical line on the screen. less than 1/8" wide. I have no floppy drive on this laptop.

jeb22,

What do you see on the screen? Nothing?...why don't you try to see if anything needs re-seating that has come loose. (specifically the video ribbon cable) Try downloading a Win98 boot disk (bootdisk.com) and see if you can boot with a floppy. I choose Win98 because it only requires one diskette.

We'll move from there if everything is tight and dry and you still see no improvement.

If, on the other hand, you do see something/anything on the screen, please be sure to report that in detail.

J_

Try connecting the laptop to an external monitor. If you are getting one verticle line only it sounds like you have a problem with the LCD display circuitry. Also check the Function key combination (Fn + F5 or F8) that enables an external display. Have you recently changed the display driver settings?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.