Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question in, but here goes...
I have a new macbook air and I'm attempting to use a shared printer that's on my windows network. I can detect the printer, and it's installed on my mac, but when I try to print, I get an error that says "HOLD FOR AUTHENTICATION."
It give me an option to type in a user name and password, but I don't have one... my mac password doesn't work, and I don't have any user names or passwords on the windows machine. I really need to be able to use this printer over the network. PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you

How are you accessing the printer? Direct to IP, Bonjour, Windows share?
IF this is on a network, it sounds like you didn't set it up... do you have an admin that can explain it to you?

If it is on a Windows share, it can be configured to require authentication, or be open. I would guess that it was configured for secure access, requiring a Windows AD / LDAP id and password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.