I recently had to reformat my PC due to Trogens. Since then my keyboard is not right.The @ is on the " button and vice versa; my pound button has also gone and I have this # where # should be I have this \......Why? and how do I get it back to what it should be? I am on windows xp

I am told this is quite common but havn't found the answer yet.

Hope you can help.

Thanx
Boanerges

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You've obviously changed the setting from american style keyboard to english style or vice versa.

Go to control panel > regional and language settings.

Try pressing shift + control, that works for me. I think it's some sort of shortcut to changing the keyboard.

You've obviously changed the setting from american style keyboard to english style or vice versa.

Go to control panel > regional and language settings.

From English (UK/Ireland) to US, judging from boanerges' description (a US keyboard has no monetary "pound" sign).

Try pressing shift + control, that works for me. I think it's some sort of shortcut to changing the keyboard.

Yes- it's a shortcut to switch between available keyboard layouts.

Hi
thanxs for your help, but the suggestions offered dont help
I thoiught myself that it was the regional settings, so reset this earlier.
Any more suggestions please.
Boanerges

I thoiught myself that it was the regional settings, so reset this earlier.

Did you dig deeply enough in to those settings?:

* Open the Regional and Language options Control Panel.
* Click on the Languages tab.
* In the Text services and input languages section, click the Details... button.
* In the Settings tab, set the default input language to your language.
* In the Installed services section, configure the keyboard options such that only the keyboard device and input language listed are those which are correct for your particular system.
* Click OK to apply your changes and close the Details window.
* Click OK again to close the Control Panel window.

Thank you for your assistance. It was bad enough (after 4 weeks) taking the decision to reformat my PC after my many problems battling against and loosing with the Trogens, but to find my settings disturbed when I re-booted was just the last straw. Thanks again for your help. It also resolved the problem I had with my Microsoft software funnily enough.
Boanerges

Glad we could help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.