Hi all, I consider myself an master computer operator, both hardware and software, but I am having a problem it is driving me insane:

THE PROBLEM
After a short amount of time since starting a session, web-browsing internet connection gets blocked by something.
When this happens also AVG updater does not work and shows an error.

MY GUESS
A service or resident something is blocking my internet, it takes a litle while to start, sometime the browser starts running faster, but eventually catches up and blocks my internet.

SYSTEM AND STUFF
Vaio C1MZX Win XP SP 2 or 3 (not sure)
wireless connection, hardware is fine and switched on
Was working fine since I installed the whole damn lot
telnet ping ok
email connection ok
chat cleints like messenger icq and the likes ok
no web browser works, explorer, mozilla seamonkey etc, none

WHEN DID I NOTICE SOMETHING WRONG
I installed a fresh SPybot and teatimer and teatimer was blocking my internet for some unknown reason. I ticked it off and ended up uninstalling Spybot. The thing worked for a while but then the problem resurfaced
I got suspicious of malwarebytes also and unistalled it

WHAT THINGS I HAVE DONE BESIDES GOING MAD
I clean up registry eliminated all traces of Norton crap, zone alarm crap, teatimer and spybot.
Ran thw winsock fic thinghy.
Worked on some winsock command lines at one stage the internet came back but then the problem resurfaced two weeks later.çi was geting by with a system restora but it stopped working.
System restore does not create checkpoints and looses the previous month data.

I have tried to find every possible solution to this. I do not want to reinstall OS and things like that.

Would love to have a event logger so I can see exactly when the internet gets blocked what process or program started and then see if that is what it is blocking it. I am unsure about how to use. I am afraid I have lost a bit the plot with software.

SUMMING UP
I am satisfied all hardware works.
I get a bit of webbrowsing if the browser starts ahead of the mysterious process that blocks it in less than one minute. After that there is nothing I can do.
Naturally I have disabled AV firewall and everything I could, to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, what the issue is.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Let me go through things you have mentioned one by one:

I installed a fresh SPybot and teatimer and teatimer was blocking my internet for some unknown reason.

Here is the info from the SpyBot FAQ:

The Resident TeaTimer is a tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future....In addition, TeaTimer detects when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either Allow or Deny the change.
The TeaTimer is always running in the background.

Now you know that it WAS running all the time, it could have easily been blocking your internet unless you allowed it. Know you have uninstalled it so that problem should have been taken care of, but FYI, you can use SpyBot without TeaTimer enabled. Then it will not run in the background UNLESS you also use it's Immunize feature, then it will block certain websites listed in its Immunize section. This also can cause a problem. I recommend using SpyBot ONLY for scanning purposes.

System restore does not create checkpoints and looses the previous month data.

System Restore is only alloted so much space on the hard drive and when that amount of space is used then the oldest listings are discarded to make room for the newest listings. That said, System Restore is meant to restore from very RECENT changes like just day or two, not weeks. So the fact that "last months" restore points are not there, that is good. You would never want to go back to last month. A couple days, MAYBE, but System Restore actually operates only on a very few system files and settings. System Restore backs up your registry. System Restore does not backup your data. If you delete or damage a file, System Restore will not recover it. System Restore does not keep old copies of your files or settings

Would love to have a event logger so I can see exactly when the internet gets blocked what process or program started and then see if that is what it is blocking it.

In essence you do, in Administrative Tools you have the Event Viewer. Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Look in probably Application or System to see if there are errors noted. Then double click on each and see what they say. They "might" give you the answer, I cannot say for sure. But look and see.
Another place to look is in your security programs, what are they? What are the settings? Are you 100% certain the problem doesn't actually lie with your ISP?

no web browser works, explorer, mozilla seamonkey etc, none

Never? Then how are you making this post?
Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking? This would give you internet service without any background security programs blocking anything. If it works well then chances are it is one of your security programs.
Give us a list of all those you are using.

Hi and many thanks for your answer Jholland.

Clarifying the points raised.

I was on the road and needed a quick fix. I worked out the untick of teatimer then the problem resurfaced and so I went with uninstalling spybot just in case.

I agree with you, I am against resident apps.

Sys restore used to keep about a month of restore points, I had one created when internet was ok. I used that as a quick fix. Suddenly my points went to 10 days. Not sure if related.

Thanks for the events viewer tip. I used to be very good in this, now I am just an average bum lol.

Security programs are windows firewall and avg free, both were ticked off together or separately and no cigar. I doubt the situation will change in safe mode but will try as it is a good test.

I am using other peoples computers and my crappy desktop to post this.

Thanks for the help

Sys restore used to keep about a month of restore points, I had one created when internet was ok. I used that as a quick fix. Suddenly my points went to 10 days. Not sure if related.

As I said, you don't want to use restore points older than a couple days at most. If you used it to go back to when internet was ok...I don't know when that was, then other points made AFTER that time would be gone. It just ISN'T a "good fixer".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.