Hi Guys,
I am planning to learn Linux.... I have heard from Many RHCE's that if you will learn Redhat then you will know every Linux Distribution.... Is it true???

My 2nd Question....

I want to practice the Command Line in Linux...You can say want to prepare for RHCT... So what should I choose? RedHat or Fedora?

Will both be ok or is there any difference in commands in Fedora from Redhat?

Regards...

Any Replies and expert Advices will be appreciated...

Hi there,

All Linux distros have some differences... But essentially, they all perform the same operations, albeit with slight desktop and/or command-line variations.

CentOS is a good, (free) RedHat-based distro, whereas Fedora is based on a debian system. When I first began using Linux I used Ubuntu (another debian based system, similar to fedora). The reason for this was for its ease of use - particularly in terms of software management and graphical interface.

Here's a little test you can take to see which distro(s) are best for your needs http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Thanx Mate.... That was Really a great help....

But as I stated that I want to prepare for RedHat Certifications and I don't want a bulky OS on my system so which RedHat based version should I choose?

Any Help and Expert Opinion Will be Really Appreciated.....

Try the free clone of red hat first --> CentOs v5 --> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/isos/ If you don't like it, then go for fedora. If you're committed on learning the command-line stuff, rather than tinkering around appearance and software etc, then it really doesn't matter in my opinion.

Otherwise, you may need to buy a proper Redhat OS and/or pay for its support. In a big corporate, where uptime and stability is key - this is where the commercial grade of RHEL comes to the fore.

Even with CentOS which is basically RHEL, the support is not as good Red Hat themselves.

Edit:- Excuse my last post, Fedora is actually sponsored by RH, (and is not debian-based)!

Thanx Man... Really Thanx for the Help.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.