Ok whenever my PC boots up I have a choice of using XP or 2000, from a partition. I installed both accidentally while making the partition, rather than deleting the other. How do I get rid of 2000, which is taking up disk space, without losing and having to reinstall XP?

Thanks in advance.

A. First, make sure you backup everything you need just in case. The following procedure should remove Windows 2000 from your hard drive: 1. Boot to Windows 98 with a Windows 98 startup diskette. 2. Type sys c: in MS-DOS prompt. 3. Remove boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr, ntdetect.com and ntbootdd.sys (if exists) from c:\ 4. Delete pagefile.sys (usually on C:) 5. Format Windows 2000 partition Make sure you copy all data files you need to a different partition.

why would you want xp over 2000?

Well, one good reason is XP will be supported longer than 2000. Another would be it's the more recent technology. I could go on, but really, why does it matter? It's his choice. I concur with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.