I have full access to User Accounts in XP. I can add, delete, change, add pic, etc. I created an limited account for my wife. I can see it in the USER ACCOUNT box, along with my admin account and a guest account (turned off).

The problem is when I attempt to log off my admin account, I get a pop up box asking if I am sure I want to log off. There is no opportunity to switch accounts. If I do a shutdown, my account is the only account on the welcome screen when I reboot.

Any fixes would be appreciated.

The fact that you don't get the opportunity to switch users seems to indicate that it does not recognize that your wife's user id has been created. I would delete the user account, and re-create it again. Make sure to assign it an Icon, and don't let it use a default Icon.

Mistamrd - I did that - TWICE. No good. Yes, I can see her Icon (A photo of her face) and I named the account two different names and left it as GUEST once. Nothing works. No...this is going to be a tougher problem that that. LOL

I would try creating her account one more time. For the troubleshooting period, leave it as an admininstrative account. When you have created it, see if you have the switch option -- and if you do, log in to it so the default setup is created. Now log out of her account and re-enter yours. Change her to a limited user and log out of your account. See if her name is shown on the screen. If you cannot --

Go into the registry (caveat -- always backup first)
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts

If her account is listed, it should not have an entry for DWord with a value of 0 (this would hide the account). If it is creating accounts as hidden, try changing the DWord to 1, then restart.

No. Her account is NOT listed. I see this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"HelpAssistant"=dword:00000000
"TsInternetUser"=dword:00000000
"SQLAgentCmdExec"=dword:00000000
"NetShowServices"=dword:00000000
"IWAM_"=dword:00010000
"IUSR_"=dword:00010000
"VUSR_"=dword:00010000
"ASPNET"=dword:00000000

????????? Thoughts?????????

Hmmm. To rule out OS vs username, have you tried adding a different variation on her name as username? Just leave it administrator first, log in with that username so it creates the profile elements, log out, then change it to limited.

I am a cheesehead! I discovered the problem. In the USER ACCOUNTS pop up, there is a box to check called CHANGE THE WAY USERS LOG ON . I clicked it. A box popped up that asked show users on splash screen (blue sign onscreen). I checked the box. Guess what? It worked. Know what? I KNOW to always check the plug first when the computer doesn't work. I forgot to START with the simplest solution!!!

SOLVED

Ta Da!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.