Hello, I want to reinstall postgreSQL. I uninstaled via control panel and then try to run the installer. I get error meesage that the service name postgresql 8.4 already exists, try diffrernt name. But I don't know how to change the name, it does not give any field to enter it. So I go to services and see there still exists postgre 8.4 service.

I google and found the command how to delete:

sc delete postgresql-8.4

I run this command and I get :

[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

can you help me delete the service so I could reinstall?

Actually what I wanted to do at first is to recover the database from another hard drive of dead computer. So I read tutorial that I need to reinstal the posgresql. At first I tried to just stop the service, put data folder from old disk to new instalation, but that did not work out, the service was not able to start.

I think postgresql on Windows is one of those things where you have to reboot the computer after you uninstall it so it can deal with the background services it starts.

I think postgresql on Windows is one of those things where you have to reboot the computer after you uninstall it so it can deal with the background services it starts.

I have rebooted it after uninstall.

Edit:

btw I am using win 7

Well, then you may need to go into services and stop/disable the servers that are causing this problem before you can reinstall postgresql.

Well, then you may need to go into services and stop/disable the servers that are causing this problem before you can reinstall postgresql.

Hmm, I stopped the posgresql service, and I thought thats enough. Or is there any other services which I should stop as well?

removed postgre records in windows registry here and there, rebooted and it let me finally install. It all works now :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.