I recently built up a new system and have been trying to install xp but i keep getting "cannot copy (filename), press enter to retry, esc to skip, F3 to quit setup". when i press enter to retry, which could be from 1 to 101 times, i get various blue screens of death, or a black screen with a cursor. this happens with both xp home and xp pro. I've even tried to install 98 first so i could then do an upgrade, but it keeps hanging. I'm wondering if maybe my ram is dodgy?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Try cleaning your cd with screen cleaner or similar, then put it back in drive and see what haqppens. Sounds like either a dirty or scratched cd.

both discs are in perfect condition but thanks. i think i've found the problem... faulty ram.

This problem can occur when you burned your windows installation discs using the 'on-the-fly' mode.. Try using a temporary hard-disk image while burning so that your burn software doesn't mess up with erroneous files!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.