Ok: I am going to set up a game server at my home and i plan on buying the hardware and software that i need because i prefer to figure out how to do it my self. but I am not at all positive of what i need: I am going to set it up so at least 16 players can get on it at the same time with it running at a good speed.
So if anybody knows what software and hardware i need please advice me so that my setup can go as smoothly as possible.

well ok first you need the game server software which usually comes with the game. like counter-strike and wat not has a dedicated server on steam. a lot of games also have server software you can download. then u need a computer, if you want to have a good server you want a good computer to run this stuff. and you can set how many ppl can join the server through the game software.

ok im planning on getting a dual processor AMD operion with around 3 GB of ram or more if necessary I would like to run joint ops on the small server that i make but I read somewhere that i might need to buy a monthly payment plan on bandwidth for each player and if so where can i find information about the bandwidth prices or any other type of software that i need.

umm for bandwidth i think you should call ur internet service provider, u are gonna want a lot of it for a good server or else ur server is gonna shut down a lot cuz games take a lot of bandwidth and the comp sounds good. i have no idea how much bandwidth cost but it will prob be expensive.

Hi I see you're also trying to setup a gaming sever at home. Have you managed to set it up yet?

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but can you make a dedicated game server with an HP Proliant server?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.