Hi,

apologies for my complete lack of knowledge but i am having trouble setting up my wireless router and dont know what needs to be done to get it working.

I can connect fine thru ethernet but when i try to log on by removing the ethernet cable it doesn't connect. I have Centrino - do i have to do something to configure it to the router?

thanks,

Dunce.

You should unplug the cable, and reboot the system. Offhand, it doesn't sound like your wireless card is picking up the signal, if it's enabled properly.

I think you're right - the card isn't picking up the signal. But why?

How do i find out the status of the card? I'm looking in Start..Programs and the only ref i see to anything wireless related is Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility but when i click on it all that shows is a blank window with a tab titled "No Adaptors".

The laptop is new so i would have assumed the setup would be there as standard?

yaduks.

* Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties" from the resulting menu.
* Click on the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.
* In the resulting list of devices, click on the "+" sign next to Network Adapters to expand that category.

Is a wireless adapter listed there? If so, double-click on it to view its properties.. Make sure the device is reported to be enabled, and working properly.

...also, on my Toshiba Satellite notebook, I had to physically turn the wireless adapter on by a switch on the side, I think - if it wasn't about 3,000 miles away right now I'd look at it and let you know exactly what I did. BTW, did you RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual)? ;-)

...also, on my Toshiba Satellite notebook, I had to physically turn the wireless adapter on by a switch on the side, I think - if it wasn't about 3,000 miles away right now I'd look at it and let you know exactly what I did. BTW, did you RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual)? ;-)

Having eaten, drank, and slept the Dell models, I'm pretty certain the cards don't have that feature. Good info for a Toshiba user, though...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.