Hi,
I want to write a program whose input is the names of the companies and when adding the name of each company, it will take various information from that company of different types,
1- TextBox (daily production rate),
2- CheckBox (select product features),
3- OptionButton (the gender of the company owner),
4- Date (Product delivery time, yy/mm/dd), ... in a form and store all that information in the profile of that company.

I just started programming. Of course, I have an average familiarity with Matlab, which I know is not suitable for writing this program.

What programming language should I use for this task so that I can design a beautiful appearance (GUI) for entering information and this information can be entered easily by the user?

Is there a pre-written program that is close to my goal so that I can improve it to suit my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think Microsoft Access (or pretty much any database software) would suit your needs here as far as just a simple method to create records with these four field types.

As far as which is the right tool for the job, I think it would completely depend upon whether you are looking to generate something web based, or something for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

It would also depend on whether this would be something that you just need to access yourself (or something that could just live on a single computer), or if you're expecting there to be lots of users, all located in remote locations, who would need to connect to the same database?

At one time I would have written this in vb.Net but now I'd use python/wxpython. It requires much less disk space for the development environment and is portable between Windows/Mac/Linux systems.

What would you use for the database server, Jim?

Whatever was available depending on how the app was to be used. Initially I would use sqlite because I don't have to install anything extra. Assuming the database code is properly encapsulated migrating to a different database would be trivial. Lacking the knowledge to create and interface to a sql database, the interface code could even be to a text file. I've done this for an app I created to track which books my wife and I have read. The nice thing about a text file based database is that it is very easy to make ad hoc changes with just a simple text editor.

There is also aa free GUI available to use for sqlite databases. It's called sqlitespy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.