i have 2 tables with same fields except that table2 has 1 additional field..but otherwise table1 and table2 have same fields and have different number of records in each and each row in each table could be the same or completely different..

i am trying to add the distinct values of one field in table1 and compare it with the values of the same field in table2 which exists in the datagridview. I am making a mistake in the cmd..i am not sure where..can u pls help me with this ?

Public Class Form2

Private Function GetMFGValues() As List(Of String)

Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\bashkark\Desktop\Final Database.mdb")

con.Open()

Dim lst As New List(Of String)

Dim values As New DataTable

Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand

cmd = New OleDbCommand("SELECT distinct MFG from table1", con)

Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(cmd)

Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()

da.Fill(ds, "table2")

DataGridView1.DataSource = ds.Tables("table2").DefaultView

For Each r As DataRow In values.Rows

lst.Add(r("MFG").ToString)

Next

lst.Clear()

Return lst

End Function

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim ValidList As List(Of String) = GetMFGValues()

If ValidList.Count > 0 Then

For Each r As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.Rows

If r.IsNewRow = False AndAlso Not TypeOf (r.Cells("MFG").Value) Is DBNull Then

If ValidList.Contains(r.Cells("MFG").Value.ToString) Then

r.Cells("MFG").Style.BackColor = Color.Green

End If

End If

Next

Else

MessageBox.Show("There are no values to highlight")

End If

End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

End

End Sub

End Class

It seems to me you are clearing your list before returnging it from the function. Is that what you want to do?

Actually, the more I look at your code, the more confused I get. You have a select statement from Table1, but then you put it into a dataset with a table name of Table2. Then you put the values into a generic list, but then clear the list before returning it???

asnider..u r right.. lst.clear had to be under a catch exception.. i am modifying my code now.. i am gonna post it again..sorry abt that..

So did that solve the problem?

ya snider got it.. :) i shall post the soln as soon as i get a chance..

thanks for ur help and asking :) i appreciate it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.