i am using an else if to call a method from another class but it says a ')' is expected can anyone help please :D

else if (source == tol.jbTakeOut)
       {    bookname = tol.jtfBookName.getText();
           authorf = tol.jtfAuthorFName.getText();
           authors = tol.jtfAuthorSName.getText();
           [I]Store.changeLoanStatus(String bookname, String authorf, String authors);[/I] //the line which the error appears on :\
           Storage.closeConnection();
        }

the class being called :D

public void changeLoanStatus(String bookname, String authorf, String authors) 
{
if (takenOut = false) takenOut = true;
if (takenOut = true)  takenOut = false;

String sql="UPDATE tblBook SET TakenOut = '" + takenOut + "'  WHERE BookName = '" + bookname + "' AND Firstname = '" + authorf + "' AND Surname = '" + authors + "'";
    System.out.println("Sql statement : " + sql);   
     try 
     {
        int ok;
        statement = connection.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE, ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE);  
        ok=statement.executeUpdate(sql);
        connection.commit();
        System.out.println("LoanStatus Changed");
     }
     catch (Exception e) 
     {
        System.out.println("Unable to take on Loan " + e.getMessage() );
     }           
}

thanks for the help in advance

Is that the exact line? The arguments obviously need no data type. What's the name of the class that method belongs to?

It looks as if your calling a non-static method statically. So you want to either make an instance reference and call your method that way or make the method static.

You don't include the parameter types in a method call. Remove them and only pass the variables by themselves:

Store.changeLoanStatus(bookname, authorf, authors);

Then on the same line "Store.changeLoanStatus(bookname, authorf, authors); a new error has appeared - - - - "non-static method changeLoanStatus(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String) cannot be referenced from a static context ? :S ?

See blackcompe's response above.

cheeeeeeeersss people
but thats the least of my problems now....
the message says ...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:

and lists a loads of things :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.