I am very new to java and have to create a programme to average data.

The scope is as follows:

I have two .txt files with collumns of data:

file1.txt is something like

2 xxx xxx xxx
3 xxx xxx xxx
4 xxx xxx xxx
100 xxx xxx xxx

file2.txt is

what i need to do is read in both files and average the columns of 2, 3 and 4 from file1.txt, but with refernce to file2.txt, i.e. take the data in column 2 (file1) and it average it for all values between 10 and 20, and again between 20 and 30. Not sure that makes sense, it is quite difficult to explain.
- file1 is a fine resolution, while file2 is a coarser resolution reference (column 1 in both files indicate the resolution) and I want to change the columns 2, 3 and 4 to the same refernce scale as file2 by averaging the data.

I have looked at some basic averaging which will read in some data, average it and output the result, but this problem is a bit more complex.

So what I want to end up with is

outputfile.txt which looks like

10 yyy yyy yyy
20 yyy yyy yyy
30 yyy yyy yyy
100 yyy yyy yyy

, where yyy is the averaged data from xxx.

Anybody understand any of that?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

is there anything you need help with specifically? we are not here to do your homework, so unless you have a more specific question then forget about it

fair enough - i understand nobody wants to do other people's work for them, but that's not what I am after it. i just wanted some pointers to set me in the right direction.
The problem is quite complicated and I have looked at all the text book samples which only cover basic averaging.

i only started using java last week with no tuition, just reading a java book and looking at examples. I am working on the problem at will try come up with something, if/when I have something more specific I will post back again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.