i am getting a ValueError message when running my code i am currently converting from 2 to 3 and have come across a brick wall any help would be great :)

# sorts files by modifed date, collects the 6 most recent files, and delete all others. #created by dan holding v0.1 (23 Aug 2010) import os, glob, time, marshal, shutil os.mkdir("file_back_ups") root = '.' date_file_list = () date_file_set = () #\/ puts files in root folder in to list for folder in glob.glob(root): print ("folder =", folder) for file in glob.glob(folder + '\*.txt*'): stats = os.stat(file) lastmod_seconds = stats[8] date_file_tuple = lastmod_seconds, file date_file_list= tuple(date_file_tuple) date_file_set = set(date_file_list) date_file_list = list(date_file_set) #date_file_list.sort(reverse = True) #print len "date_file_list" date, count = '', 0 #\/works tho files and finds the 6 latest files for lastmod_seconds, val in date_file_list: folder, file_name = os.path.split(val) lastmod_tuple = time.localtime(lastmod_seconds) file_date = time.strftime("%d/%m/%y", lastmod_tuple) if file_date != date: date=file_date count += 1 else: continue file_time = time.strftime("%H:%M:%S", lastmod_tuple) #print ("%-40s %10s %10s") % (file_name, file_date, file_time) if count >6: break #\/ moves the 6 files to a temp folder dst_file = ".\\file_back_ups\\" shutil.move(file_name, dst_file) #\/ removes all other files for f in glob.glob ('.\*.txt*'): os.unlink (f) dst_fo2 = ".\\" #\/ moves the 6 files back to the root folder for file in glob.glob("dst_file" + '\*.txt*'): shutil.move (file, dst_fo2) os.rmdir("file_back_ups")

[/code=python] and the error message i receive is [code=python] Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\textprocessing\test files\keep6file.py", line 22, in <module> for lastmod_seconds, val in date_file_list: [/code=python] ValueError: too many values to unpack

i can see that it is a problem with unpacking the values but it worked fine in py2 so what have they changed or modified in py3 to make this stop working[code=python]
# sorts files by modifed date, collects the 6 most recent files, and delete all others.
#created by dan holding v0.1 (23 Aug 2010)
import os, glob, time, marshal, shutil
os.mkdir("file_back_ups")
root = '.'
date_file_list = ()
date_file_set = ()
#\/ puts files in root folder in to list
for folder in glob.glob(root):
print ("folder =", folder)
for file in glob.glob(folder + '\*.txt*'):
stats = os.stat(file)
lastmod_seconds = stats[8]
date_file_tuple = lastmod_seconds, file
date_file_list= tuple(date_file_tuple)
date_file_set = set(date_file_list)
date_file_list = list(date_file_set)
#date_file_list.sort(reverse = True)
#print len "date_file_list"
date, count = '', 0
#\/works tho files and finds the 6 latest files
for lastmod_seconds, val in date_file_list:
folder, file_name = os.path.split(val)
lastmod_tuple = time.localtime(lastmod_seconds)
file_date = time.strftime("%d/%m/%y", lastmod_tuple)
if file_date != date:
date=file_date
count += 1
else:
continue
file_time = time.strftime("%H:%M:%S", lastmod_tuple)
#print ("%-40s %10s %10s") % (file_name, file_date, file_time)
if count >6:
break
#\/ moves the 6 files to a temp folder
dst_file = ".\\file_back_ups\\"
shutil.move(file_name, dst_file)
#\/ removes all other files
for f in glob.glob ('.\*.txt*'):
os.unlink (f)
dst_fo2 = ".\\"
#\/ moves the 6 files back to the root folder
for file in glob.glob("dst_file" + '\*.txt*'):
shutil.move (file, dst_fo2)
os.rmdir("file_back_ups")

[/code=python]
and the error message i receive is

Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\textprocessing\test files\keep6file.py", line 22, in <module> for lastmod_seconds, val in date_file_list: [/code=python] ValueError: too many values to unpack

i can see that it is a problem with unpacking the values but it worked fine in py2 so what have they changed or modified in py3 to make this stop working[code=python]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\textprocessing\test files\keep6file.py", line 22, in <module>
[/code=python]
ValueError: too many values to unpack

i can see that it is a problem with unpacking the values but it worked fine in py2 so what have they changed or modified in py3 to make this stop working

for sum reason it didnt like that code here it is again with tabs and python coding sorting but still same problem

# sorts files by modifed date, collects the 6 most recent files, and delete all others.
#created by dan holding v0.1 (23 Aug 2010)
import os, glob, time, marshal, shutil
os.mkdir("file_back_ups")
root = '.'
date_file_list = ()
date_file_set = ()
#\/ puts files in root folder in to list
for folder in glob.glob(root):
    print ("folder =", folder)
    for file in glob.glob(folder + '\*.txt*'):
        stats = os.stat(file)
        lastmod_seconds = stats[8]
        #date_file_list.sort(reverse = True)
#print len "date_file_list"
date, count = '', 0
#\/works tho files and finds the 6 latest files
    folder, file_name = os.path.split(val)
    lastmod_tuple = time.localtime(lastmod_seconds)
    file_date = time.strftime("%d/%m/%y", lastmod_tuple)
    if file_date != date:
        date=file_date
        count += 1
    else:
        continue
    file_time = time.strftime("%H:%M:%S", lastmod_tuple)
    #print ("%-40s %10s %10s") % (file_name, file_date, file_time)
    if count >6:
        break
#\/ moves the 6 files to a temp folder
    dst_file = ".\\file_back_ups\\"
    shutil.move(file_name, dst_file)
#\/ removes all other  files
for f in glob.glob ('.\*.txt*'):
       os.unlink (f)
dst_fo2 = ".\\"
#\/ moves the 6 files back to the root folder
for file in glob.glob("dst_file" + '\*.txt*'):
    shutil.move (file, dst_fo2)
os.rmdir("file_back_ups")

Obviously you should print at least part of date_file_list. No one here has ESP AFAIK, so no one can discern the contents of date_file_list, but what happens if no file is found.

"""  You can replace the above lines of code with
"""
date_file_list = [lastmod_seconds, file]   ## creates a list

"""  note also that you do not append or add items, so the tuple, set, list will
     only contain one item
"""
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.