Hi all,

I'm trying to use Python's urllib to get a Facebook profile page. I get the following error:

IOError: [Errno socket error] [Errno 10035] A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately

Here's my code:

import urllib
member_profile_text = urllib.urlopen('http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1073109649').read()

I need to get this working soon, so any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Benjamin

Depending on the page you probably need to login to fb first before you can access that page.

commented: Thanks for the help! +2

Works fine for me using Python27 on Windows7 OS.

@ Vegaseat
That's really odd, it fails with the same error every time for me. I'm running Python 2.7 on Windows Vista. Also, I have a good internet connection.

@ predator78
I appreciate your response! It was a good idea. Unfortunately, it's not working for me.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Benjamin

It works for me on Slackware Linux as well. Are you behind a firewall?

Some security setting in Windows Vista could be the problem?

Some security setting in Windows Vista could be the problem?

I doubt it, I've used this library before on same machine with same settings and met with success, I just can't figure out what's different here. Also, I can't find anything with my security system that would be blocking it....

I just ran the code in the IDLE and it worked just fine. No errors.
I am running Windows Vista, and I used Python 2.7.1

- WolfShield

I just ran the code in the IDLE and it worked just fine. No errors.
I am running Windows Vista, and I used Python 2.7.1

- WolfShield

Alright, I have confirmation. I'll stop checking my code and start on my firewall. Thanks for all your help people, WolfShield, Vegaseat, wooee, predator78. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!
Benjamin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.