I promice everone that I have looked and looked and looked for a solution, I'm not just having a problem and being lazy putting it on daniweb... haha :) ull have to trust me, ive even googled it :O!

Ok, so I am wondering, if I wanted to return a single (non aray) pointer to an array (yes, I know, pointers arn't arrays, I mean, doesn't return the start of the array) which is un modifiable, will this work:

GLdouble rotMatrix[2][2];
const GLdouble * getRotMatrix(int row, int column){return(&rotMatrix[row][column]);};

I know I can just test it... But I'm worried that I will mis-understand somthing going on and leave an error in there :\ If that isn't correct, how could I return a pointer to a single GLdouble (think of it as a double) so that a user my use the returned value to multiply another matrix and NOT be able to modify the returned value

There is no technical issue with your code.

But you have some other small issues. First, if you don't intend to return a writable variable, then you should make that member function const (if it is indeed a member function, which is what I assume). Second, returning a pointer is in general not recommended given the fact that a pointer is easily copyable, a reference is preferred. Finally, there is no real point in outputting a reference to such a small type as a double variable, prefer just outputting it by value instead. That would lead to this:

//Either returning a const reference:
const GLdouble& getRotMatrix(int row, int column) const { return rotMatrix[row][column]; };

//Or returning by value:
GLdouble getRotMatrix(int row, int column) const { return rotMatrix[row][column]; };

Both of the above function are virtually the same.

But if you absolutely need a pointer (because you need a pointer for some OpenGL function), then your code is OK (except that you should make the member function const).

Thanks, I more alas wanted to know how to pass an object my constant reference, as Ive had times where Ive been confident with passing 8mb objects by constant reference, so I thought Ide try to practice :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.