Hi
Ive got an error message saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." It doesnt make sense to me and the troublshooting tips says to make a new keyword, but since Im new to C# I dont fully understand it. Heres the bit of code thats making the problem. I think I know why the errors coming up because Ive linked two classes together so I might not have done it right. Can someone help me with this please? I just can't seem to figure it out.

class Athletes
    { 
private Event myEventParticipating;
public Event EventPart
        {
            get
            {
                return myEventParticipating;
            }
            set
            {
                myEventParticipating = value;
            }
        }
}
class Event
    {
private string myName = "Shotput";
 public string Name
        {
            get
            {
                return myName;
            }
            set
            {
                myName = value;
            }
        }
}
Console.WriteLine("=====Athlete 1 - Details=====");
            Console.WriteLine("");
            Console.WriteLine("Enter First Name of Athlete 1:");
            athlete1.FirstName = Console.ReadLine();
            Console.WriteLine("Enter Last Name of Athlete 1:");
            athlete1.LastName = Console.ReadLine();
            Console.WriteLine("Enter Address of Athelete 1:");
            athlete1.Address = Console.ReadLine();
            Console.WriteLine("Enter Phone Number of Athlete 1:");
            athlete1.PhoneNumber = Console.ReadLine();//Up to here these lines all work fine
            Console.WriteLine("Enter the Event that Athlete 1 is participating in:");
  [U][B]athlete1.EventPart.Name = Console.ReadLine();[/B][/U]         

Console.WriteLine("Thankyou, Athlete 1 has now been saved.");

The underlined code is the line that comes up with the error that I cant figure it out where Ive gone wrong. Any help will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

myEventParticipating is null by default and you never set it in the snippets.

You never have something like Athletes athlete1 = new Atletes();
This tells the compiler to reserve some memory space to hold the info about athlete1.
Because Event is a reserved keyword in C#, I don't think your code will work as you intended. I should change the word into Meeting or Happening or something.

@ Deceptikon - What do you mean by null? I declare the EventPart as Console.ReadLine?
@Ddanbe - The reason I have the athlete1 is because I have more than one athlete and also the Event keyword works fine because my other Code works with Event. Can you see anything else where I might be going wrong.
But thankyou for your quick replies, its much appreciated

Because Event is a reserved keyword in C#, I don't think your code will work as you intended.

C# is case sensitive. event is a reserved keyword, but Event is not. It may be a standard class, but I don't think so.

@ Deceptikon - What do you mean by null?

I mean this:

private Event myEventParticipating;

Is equivalent to this:

private Event myEventParticipating = null;

If you never say athelete1.EventPart = new Event() or something similar, then athelete.EventPart is equal to null and you cannot access the members of a null object.

C# is case sensitive

Yes, I know, I find it one of its strengths.
This is a perfect example how the use of reserved words, otherwise spelled, can confuse people(in this case me!)
Thanks for reminding me anyway. :)

Hi the problem has been solved for now, I think I solved the problem by creating a new object such as

Event event1 = new Event();
            Event event2 = new Event();

and then saving Event 1 and event 2 to the same array and that for some reason solved the problem. Thanks everyone for your help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.