Untitled40 I'm trying to figure out how to add a new connection to MySQL running on a different computer on my network. When I click Project --> New Data Source a list of drivers appears, but none of them are MySQL (see thumbnail) which I have previously installed. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. The MySQL database is on a computer running 64-bit Windows 8.

I found a tutorial that works (see code below) with a console program, but I want to use Dataset

Imports System.Data
Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient

Module Module1
    Private con As New MySqlConnection
    Private cmd As New MySqlCommand
    Private reader As MySqlDataReader

Private _host As String = "<ip address here>" ' Connect to localhost database
    Private _user As String = "<user name here>" 'Enter your username, default is root
    Private _pass As String = "<password here>" 'Enter your password

Sub Main()
        Dim oConn As String
        oConn = "Server=""" + _host + """;User Id=""" + _user + """;Password=""" + _pass + """;"
        con = New MySqlConnection(oConn)
        Try
            con.Open()
            'Check if the connection is open
            If con.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
                con.ChangeDatabase("dvd_collection") 'Use the MYSQL database for this example
                Console.WriteLine("Connection Open")
                Dim Sql As String = "SELECT title,date_format(release_date,""%Y-%m-%d"") as Date FROM movies"
                cmd = New MySqlCommand(Sql, con)
                reader = cmd.ExecuteReader()

'Loop through all the users
                While reader.Read()
                    Console.WriteLine("Title: " & reader.GetString(0)) 'Get the host
                    Console.WriteLine("Release Date: " & reader.GetString(1)) 'Get the username
                End While

End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            Console.WriteLine(ex.Message) ' Display any errors.
        End Try

Console.ReadKey()
    End Sub

End Module

What happens if you supply the IP address as part of the server name? For example, on my regular computer my SQL Server instance is

JIM-PC\SQLEXPRESS

But I imagine (I can't verify this because my computer is in the shop) I could also use

\\192.168.1.104\SQLEXPRESS

Are you using VS2012 Express, if so you may be out of luck.

Click Here

No, I'm using VS2012 Pro

I don't use either VS2012 or MySql, but based on their support forum, it looks like a lot of people have had issues with this configuration. Do you have the the latest vesion of Connector/Net installed? Based on this: Click Here, the newer releases should offer full VS2012 support.

As a possible workaround, have you tried connecting through ODBC instead?

Problem reesolved, I had to download a new driver.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.