Hi There. I have the following code for a login system withing VB 2010. I am getting a Warning: "Variable 'reader' is used before it has been assigned a value. A null reference exception could result at runtime." Where did I go wrong?

Private Sub btnLogin_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLogin.Click
        Dim cmd As New MySqlCommand

Dim User As String = txtUsername.Text
        Dim Pass As String = txtPassword.Text
        Dim reader As DataTableReader

connection.Open()
        cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE Username= '" & txtUsername.Text & "' and Password= '" & txtPassword.Text & "', conn|"
        cmd.Connection = connection

cmd.Parameters.Add(New MySqlParameter("?UserName", txtUsername.Text))
        cmd.Parameters.Add(New MySqlParameter("?Password", txtPassword.Text))

cmd.Connection = connection
        'cmd.EndExecuteReader = reader

If reader.HasRows() Then
            MessageBox.Show("Login Success!", "Success!", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
            Form2.Show()
            Me.Close()
        Else
            MsgBox("Invalid Login Information!", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
        End If
        connection.Close()
    End Sub
End Class

reader is an uninitialized local variable. You need to create an object of DataTableReader and assign the reference to your variable.

Okay, so how would I go about doing that?

I'm not hip on the MySQL classes, but you probably want a MySqlDataReader instead, and that object can be initialized with cmd.ExecuteReader(), provided it follows the same design as the standard .NET classes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.