hi,
can u tel me where should i place the code for database connection?..is it placed in the same directory as other jsp and html files?....shall i put it in a java bean and then include it in all the other jsp files?..i

You can always create an class and place the code there and then use the class in your jsp pages to access the DB.

Never ever put business / backend logic in your JSP file. It's not what it was meant for. JSP is a presentation technology. Place your logic inside Servlets / EJB's and use DAO(Data Access Objects) to access your database. Reading the official J2EE tutorial would clear up things for you.

thx a lot..i tried doin that..but an error is comin..

first file name is main.jsp. process.jsp is the action file and login.java is the db connection class.i placed login in a folder named foo under classes in WEB-INF (WEB-INF->classes->foo->login.java)...but it still shows the error..
HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

An error occurred at line: 2 in the jsp file: /process.jsp

Generated servlet error:
[javac] Compiling 1 source file

C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\ankita\process_jsp.java:43: package foo does not exist
foo.Login idHandler = null;
^

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\ankita\process_jsp.java:45: package foo does not exist
idHandler = (foo.Login) pageContext.getAttribute("idHandler", PageContext.REQUEST_SCOPE);
^

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\ankita\process_jsp.java:48: package foo does not exist
idHandler = (foo.Login) java.beans.Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(), "foo.Login");
^
3 errors

please help..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.