hello, i just started to code aspx, but i found troubles adding the connection string in the web.config
i was trying to code the "populate the listbox" tutorial, and in the part of pasting the connection string in the above mentioned file, i'm getting this error
"Only elements allowed"
The debug points to that line in the web.config
Thanks in advance, this web is cool because the tutorials are so well explained, which is hard to find on other sites for noobies like me.
thanks thanks thanks !

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here might be one solution to help you out. This is not my work I found it elsewhere.

In the web.config file, add the following section

<configuration>
<appSettings file="app.config"></appSettings>
</configuration>

In a new file, add the following and save it as app.cfg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<appSettings>
<add key="conn" value="Data Source=localhost;Integrated Security=SSPI; database=YourDB" />
</appSettings>

Hope this helps.

Miller

I know the original poster has probably long since solved their problem, but I thought I'd answer for anyone coming along after who faces a similar exception and is confused. Especially since both of the original replies above are either wrong or comment spam.

Now, what this exception generally means is that the XML in the App.Config file is ill-formed. That is, you have probably put something in there that shouldn't be there or something like that. For instance, when I got this error recently, it was because I had accidently put a semi-colon at the end of a key.

I'm not saying this is going to be the answer all the time, but if you get this sort of error, the first thing I would do is go back and check my App.Config file to ensure that you haven't thrown in an extra punctuation mark or the like. Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.