Hi,
I'm getting the error Warning: mysql_numrows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\wamp\www\******\include\Database.php on line 294 when I try to run this

function calcNumActiveUsers()
	{
      $query = "SELECT * FROM ".TBL_ACTIVE_USERS;
      $result = $this->query($query); //just uses mysql_query
	  var_dump($result);
      $this->num_active_users = mysql_numrows($result);
   }

As far as I can tell var_dump($result) should not be telling me that $result is true since I am running a select query. I'm getting this error on each function I call that accesses the database. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Can you post the rest of code so we can see what is going on? From what you gave, I can't get you a definitive answer.

Also, mysql_numrows() is depreciated. Use mysql_num_rows() instead.

Ok, sorry about that.
Here's the constructor for the connection to the database. It's stored in $connection.

function MySQLDB()
	{
      $this->connection = mysql_connect(DB_SERVER, DB_USER, DB_PASS) or die(mysql_error());
      mysql_select_db(DB_NAME, $this->connection) or die(mysql_error());
      $this->num_members = -1;
   }

Here's the query function. It mostly exists to save time while writing.

function query($query)
   {
      return mysql_query($query, $this->connection) or die(mysql_error());
   }

calcNumActiveUsers is called whenever a new session is started. If you need more please say so. There's just a good bit of code over a few files and I don't know if it's a good idea to post it all. And thanks for telling me about mysql_numrows(); I was unaware about that.

Must have been a logic problem I wasn't seeing. I changed the query function from the above to:

function query($query)
   {
      $result = mysql_query($query, $this->connection) or die(mysql_error());
		return $result;
   }

and everything started working.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.