This is a pretty broad question so bear with me here. I'll try to make it as understandable as possible haha. Alright, so lets imagine I have an SQL database on my web server named diary, and I have a table in the database called entries. The table has the following properties:

• Column: entry_id (TEXT)
  • Column: entry_name (TEXT)
  • Column: entry_content (TEXT)

Now, this is what I want to do. I want to be able to fetch data from the database, and display a list of all of the database entry names so I can read entries from a list. Clicking on the entry will forward me to a new web page that will display the entry content (or the entry text) for the diary entry.

I hope I'm not making this too difficult to understand, but I actually can't find any examples on how to display database data on a web page (perhaps because I'm making this far too complicated, but hey ho)

If anybody can give me some pointers (I'm not asking for complete code snippets here; that's not how one learns) then I'll be greatly thankful. Thank you!

If you are doing this in asp.net and you have visual studio installed, you can get this done with minimal code. Sounds like a good example for using a grid view control on the first page Nd when you pass the entry ID to the second page, display the results in a simple details view control.

By the way entry_id should be stored as an integer in the database and make this the primary key.

I don't use Visual Studio for web development, purely because it's a faf to get started and it's buggy for me. I usually experience a bug 5-10 minutes into use that stops me from using the directional keys and the backspace/enter key. I'm using Notepad++ right now. I'll take a look however, and I'll also change the ID column to the primary key. Thank you!

More power to you if you can develop asp.net using notepad++. It's a pretty large framework for not using an IDE.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.