Hi I have a page for users to edit their details, I've used the following code to prefill the form.

protected void loadData()
        {
            OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection();

conn.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ProjectDatabaseConnectionString"].ConnectionString;
            conn.Open();

DataTable dt = new DataTable();
            DataSet ds = new DataSet();
            ds.Tables.Add(dt);

OleDbDataAdapter da = new OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Clients WHERE Username = '"+lblSessUser.Text.ToString()+"'", conn);
            da.Fill(dt);

foreach (DataRow r in dt.Rows)
            {

txtUser.Text = r[1].ToString();
                    txtAdd.Text = r[2].ToString();
                    txtTown.Text = r[3].ToString();
                    txtCounty.Text = r[4].ToString();
                    txtPhone.Text = r[5].ToString();
                    txtMob.Text = r[6].ToString();
                    txtEmail.Text = r[9].ToString();

}

conn.Close();

}

But when I alter any of the fields it's not updating. The code for the update is.

protected void btnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    OleDbConnection conn;
            OleDbCommand cmd;

using (conn = new OleDbConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ProjectDatabaseConnectionString"].ConnectionString))
            {
                using (cmd = conn.CreateCommand())
                {
                    cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE Clients (ClientName, Address, Town, County, PhoneNumber, MobileNumber, Username [Password], EmailAddress WHERE Username = '"+lblSessUser.Text.ToString()+"') VALUES (@name, @add,@town,@county,@phone,@mobile,@username, @password, @email)";

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@name", txtUser.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@add", txtAdd.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@town", txtTown.Text );
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@county", txtCounty.Text );
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@phone", txtPhone.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@mobile", txtMob.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@username", lblSessUser.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@password", txtPass.Text);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@email", txtEmail.Text);
                    conn.Open();
                    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                }
            }
    }

When I run the application I am getting 'Syntax error in UPDATE statement', I can't see any errors so if anyone else can that would be great.

Also when I run it through debug I can see that any of the fields that are changed are still holding the pre filled data. Any way of getting around this?

Thanks in advance

With regard to your first question about the syntax errror, you are missing a comma between Username and [Password] (line 10).

Also, why aren't you using a parameter for here: '"+lblSessUser.Text.ToString()+"') VALUES like you have done with the others...

Thank you I had been looking at the syntax for ages.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to using oledb etc in Visual Studio so having to guess how to write the code. What I was wanting to do was update the row for the user that is already logged into the system (where the username matches the username that is logged in). I have the username in session and placed in lblSessUser. What other way can I write the WHERE clause in the UPDATE statement?

Actually, i didnt even notice you were trying to perform an UPDATE. I should have paid more attention before I responded. my appologies..

I had assumed insert because of the way the query was written. For an UPDATE, it would look like this...

cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE Clients SET ClientName = @name, Address = @add, Town = @town, County = @county, PhoneNumber = @phone, MobileNumber = @mobile, Password = @password,  EmailAddress = @email WHERE Username = @username";

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@name", txtUser.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@add", txtAdd.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@town", txtTown.Text );
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@county", txtCounty.Text );
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@phone", txtPhone.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@mobile", txtMob.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@username", lblSessUser.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@password", txtPass.Text);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@email", txtEmail.Text);

conn.Open();
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.