hey i have this code that always evaluates to true but it should only in the case of there being a value in the database i have selected, maybe im doing this wrong or maybe its something else but i cant seem to figure out the problem :( any assistence is greatly appreciated.

//submission code, inserting data into mysql database

$mySqlDate = date('Y-m-d');
$mySqlTime = date("g:i a");

if(isset($_GET['add']))
{
    $newnum = $_GET['newnum'];
    $firstname = $_GET['firstname'];
    $lastname = $_GET['lastname'];
}

if(strlen($newnum) == $min_length)
{
    $newnum = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_GET['newnum']);
    $firstname = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_GET['firstname']);
    $lastname = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_GET['lastname']);

$check = mysqli_query($con, "SELECT count(*) FROM usernumdata WHERE numb = '".$newnum."'") or die();
    $row = mysqli_fetch_row($check);

if ($row[0] > 0)
    {
        $sql="INSERT INTO usernumdata (numb) VALUES ('".$newnum."')";

if (!mysqli_query($con,$sql)) {
            die('Error: ' . mysqli_error($con));
        }   
        echo "<div style='text-align: center'> <font size='6' color='green'>Successfully Added New Number</font> <div>";
    }
    else
    {
        echo "<div style='text-align: center'> <font size='6' color='red'>Number Already Exists In Do Not Call List</font> <div>";
    }
    /*
    $sql="INSERT INTO usernumdata (numb, firstname, lastname, date, time) VALUES ('".$newnum."','".$firstname."','".$lastname."','".$mySqlDate."','".$mySqlTime."')";

if (!mysqli_query($con,$sql)) {
      die('Error: ' . mysqli_error($con));
    }
    echo "<div style='position:fixed; bottom:65; left:37%'> <font size='6' color='green'>Successfully Added New Entry</font> <div>";
    */
}

else{
    $length = "Remember Phone Number Must be ".$min_length. " Digits Long";
    echo "<div style='position:fixed; bottom:50; left:31%;'> <font size='6' color='blue'>".$length."</font> <div>";
}

as you can see from the code above im trying to set it up to do a double test which is probably bad coding pratice but i needs to output different messages in case of either, and what i was trying to do was see if the value was in the database already before inserting a new one but for some reason it always evaluates to true? help

that looks like it could work but my question is how would you use the if statement to run a check and give feedback to the user to let them know whther or not the number is there, also can you give an example cause this looks a little complicated, sorry im kind of new to the whole php/html/mysql thing so simple explanations are appreciated, thanks.

I changed your if condition at line 22 , if row count == 0 then means record does not exists with number, so show insert when $row[0]==0 , otherwise show "already exits" message

if ($row[0] == 0)

Thank you so much urtrivedi, this is exactly what i needed. I bow to your wisdom cause i still dont fully understand but i am reading more into it as well as something on creating a login page so i will go from there. Thanks again for all the help you gave me. it was very much appreciated

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.