I'm looking to display only 1 line of text from a source where characters range from 0-255. I do not want the text to exceed 1 line, and if it would, I want to truncate and display "...". What is the best way to determine if text will exceed 1 line? I tried testing by seeing how many 'W' characters could fit, which is 48, but 48 characters in other letters is much much smaller across the screen.

Thanks!!

Member Avatar for diafol

Could you use a monospace font (like Courier) which gives each letter the same width. Admittedly, this isn't the nicest looking solution.

You can truncate using:

$display_string = substr($string, 0, 48) . "…";

You could work out the relative widths of each character and count up to a certain max value. I think this would be overkill, but it's possible.

pseudocode:
start loop
get char at position 'pos'
test width of returned char
add width to total width
check against max allowed width -> IF greater than max
total chars = pos -> break loop
ELSE
increment 'pos'
END IF
end loop

Thanks for your response Ardav! I was hoping maybe there was a better approach out there than counting characters, but possibly not... I have it working with the Character Count, but I'm worried it's not the most efficient way of going about it

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks for your response Ardav! I was hoping maybe there was a better approach out there than counting characters, but possibly not... I have it working with the Character Count, but I'm worried it's not the most efficient way of going about it

You're probably right. But I can't think of another way because as you say 'normal' fonts have different widths for different characters. The only other suggestion would be to do as you've done - find the widest character - find the max no. of those characters and use that total as your basis for truncation. However, it's not likely that you would have a complete line of max width characters - so you could probably get away with a couple more characters on top of this.
Perhaps using styling/css would make the lines look more uniform:

.one_line_text{
  text-align:justify;
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.