I installed a new hard drive on a Sony Vaio Laptop Model PCG K25 with plans on loading the original Windows XP software using Sony's recovery/reinstallation CD. (The disk is a DVD, not a CD)

After installing the hard drive and inserting the CD, I powered up and entered the bios to change the boot sequence CD/DVD. When I rebooted the CD did not start and a message appeared on black screen stating "No Operating System Found." Of course I expected there was no OPERATING SYSTEM, but I was immediately concerned that I may have a malfunction CD Drive.

I entered the BIOS ADVANCE menu and saw that there was NO PRIMARY OR SECONDARY IDE, neither drive was being recognized.

I checked under the other BIOS menus to see if there were any options available to change this situation. I saw none, except one: RESET DEFAULTS.

Then I think I made the worst mistake ever when I chose that options. Nothing changed. I then replaced the original Hard Drive, which was a 50g hard drive; the new hard drive is 120g.

(I really don't know why I thought anything would be different.) I am desperate since I am doing this upgrade for a friend.

Any thoughts,ideas, advice? I appreciate any and all responses. I will provide further information upon request.

Thanks, in advance.

try hitting f11 or f12 on bootup to see if it gives the bootoption ,where you can choose dvd drive

Thanks for the advice. I will try this as soon as I get a chance. I hope it works....

I will let you know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.