I have a Kingston 256 MB flash drive. I have not used in for months. Today I went to use it and could not separate it. I checked and it's in the unlocked position. I pulled until my eyes popped but to no avail.

Other than whacking it with a hammer do you have any idea as to what the problem is.

Thanks.

The cap that covers over the USB plug is stuck on?

Does it look like this?

Yes it does with a little latch on the side which supposedly is a lock. I have the lock in the open position but the thingy will not pull apart.

I think the lock it to prevent anything from being deleted from the drive not to lock the drive cover

I agree with caperjack. Generally, switches on a USB drive are for write protection purposes. I guess the cover might have got warped somehow. Try prying off the cover gently.

albatrosss, try doing as goldeagle suggested. Use a very skinny flat blade screwdriver to try to slowly pry the cap off.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.