Hi, i am in need of some help with an assignment.

The Question : Write a program which will think of a word and ask the user to guess the word. The user may guess a letter at a time and your program will print out wherever the letter occurs. If the user guesses incorrectly, they lose a point. If they lose 8 points, they lose the game. If the user guess correctly, then you show where the letter occurs in the word.

My code so far :

public class WordGuess
{
	public static String getRandomWord()
	{
		String [] words = {"keyboard", "mouse", "monitor", "ram", "cpu", "processor", "google", "website", "megabyte", "gigabyte" };
		int randomIndex = (int) (Math.random() * words.length);
		return words[randomIndex];
	}

public static void main (String [] args)
	{
		for(int i = 0; i < words.length; i++)
		{
			System.out.println (words[i]);
		}
	}
}

I know its not much but im kind of stuck so any tips would be nice, thanks :)

Uhm, read some input and compare it to the randomly selected word?

first of all the compiler must reject this code (compilation error) as the array word is not public , so it is only used inside the scope of the getrandomword method since it was declared in.
so you can declare it outside the method as public static String word[] = bla bla bla
and it will work fine , enjoy

Hey guys, i've pretty much solved the problem i had above.
But now ran into a new one!

Current code :

public class WordGuess
{
	public static String getRandomWord()
	{
		String [] words = {"keyboard", "mouse", "monitor", "ram", "cpu", "processor", "google", "website", "megabyte", "gigabyte" };
		int randomWord = (int) (Math.random() * words.length);
		return words[randomWord];
	}

public static void main (String [] args)
	{
		System.out.println ("Guess a word");
		String Guess1 = Console.readString();

boolean Correct = true; 
		boolean Incorrect = false;

if(Guess1 = Correct)
		{
			System.out.println ("Correct");
		}

else if(Guess1 = Incorrect)
		{
			System.out.println ("Incorrect");
		}

}
}

What i want the program to do is, ask the user to enter a letter. If that letter is in the word, it will print "Correct", and if the letter isn't in the word then print "Incorrect"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.