Hello

How can I get minimum number of coins for a given amount.
I have fixed denominations of cents - 25, 10, 5 and 1
If I have 0.67 then what will be the minimum numbers coins I need

Thank you all in advance for valueable advices and suggestions

Class assignment? Sorry, but the terms of service here do not allow us to do your homework for you. Make a good attempt to solve the problem, and if you have errors, post the code here, which we can then critique and help you with (to a point).

You can construct the value of any coin, using coins of lower value (if there are any); this makes the problem easier because the smallest amount of coins required is then obtained by repeatedly paying with the highest value coin, until the remaining cost is 0 (it would be diffent if the coins had different values, e.g. 80, 45 and 1. If you'd then want to pay a value of say 90, you don't want to fit the biggest, because that would result in one coin of 80 and 10 coins of 1 instead of the better solution: 2 coins of 45. Relevant reading material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapsack_problem)

Member Avatar for cayman

Think of the $0.67 as the size of a "space" you need to fill with the fixed denominations. Start with the largest denominations. Use the modulus (%) operator to figure out how many of them can fit in the space. Then, if the space is not completely filled, move to the next largest denomination and repeat.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.