i have a value from my database. i want to select the most highest value and split it into say ten. then echo it in my select.Any help pls

Member Avatar for diafol

This doesn't make much sense. Are you saying you want to get the maximum value from a field in the table? What does split into 10 mean? Do you mean that you want to select the 10 highest values of a field in a table?

Echo it in a select? I'm assuming you mean place this/these value/s in a select form field?

What have you got so far? Not sure how you expect us to help without any info about the table / fields.

ok the issue is say the highest value in the databse is 500. i want to echo 100 200 300 400 500 in the select box. please thus all am saying.

Member Avatar for diafol

So not split into 10?
OK, I think I have an idea...

$sql = "SELECT field FROM table ORDER BY field DESC LIMIT 1";  //or
$sql = "SELECT MAX(field) FROM table"; //2nd one probably quicker - difference depends on whether 'field' is indexed or not

After you get your result (into $val) - easy if using PDO and fetchColumn (http://php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.fetchcolumn.php)

The you need to split it into increments. For this you'd need to create a splitting function to output an array of values (max 10 elements).

Then just create the innards of your select by concatenating:

$str = '';
foreach($arrayValues as $v)
{
       $str .= "<option value='$v'>$v</option>";
}

Then

<select>
    <?=$str?>
</select>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.