I need to kill a process from the command line:

taskkill /f /IM WINWORD.EXE

The command works just fine when using an administrator account, but fails for standard user accounts with "Access is denied."

Is it possible to grant a standard user rights to kill a specific process? What privilleges might be required?

The OS is Windows 8.1.

taskkill will attempt to kill all WINWORD.EXE processes whether they are owned by the current user or not, so you have to add a qualifier such as /fi "username eq %USERNAME%" so that the line reads as follows

taskkill /f /IM WINWORD.EXE /fi "username eq %USERNAME%"

so that it only kills the processes owned by the user. Administrators can indiscriminately kill all processes by name for all users.

Thanks for the response. I attempted to kill the process as suggested, by specifying a username filter, but still get the 'Access is denied' message. Same result when filtering by PID.

I can imagine how terminating processes owned by other users might lead to access denied warnings, but I don't believe this is the case here. All instances of WINWORD.EXE are owned by the current user, the account from which I wish to call taskkill.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.