I have just got cable internet and I wanted to go through a router. When I have the cable connected directly to the pc I have no problems getting onto the internet. It goes quickly. Unfortunately, when I go through the router it takes upto 3-5 minutes for the internet to come up or switch pages. I have a netgear mr814v2 router running through a zonet zen3200 nic card installed on a hp pavillion (rebuilt) pc with windows 98se. I am not very comp savvy, so any info y9ou can give that might make this work faster in layman's terms would be helpful. thank you.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Have you upgraded the firmware of the router? I've heard a couple of people that bought this router got stuck with an older firmware version and that when they installed the upgrade it worked just fine.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=574

Also, your method of obtaining your IP address and DNS info could play a part. Are you setting your IP information manually, or is the router acting as a DHCP server (automatically providing your IP info for you)?

Also, your method of obtaining your IP address and DNS info could play a part. Are you setting your IP information manually, or is the router acting as a DHCP server (automatically providing your IP info for you)?

HI,

I'd like to know how this can play a part and what are the best Practices to avoid slowdowns. ( or any other issues that could play a role)

I have a linksys WRT 54 GS rounter, I have installed the latest DD-WRT firmware. It's still quite slow.

Thanks
Peter

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.