Hi, I am trying to create a simple roguelike-like, a game with graphics similar to roguelikes, with a few extra twists. I am trying to create a dungeon using a list, here is the code...

background = ['#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#' /n/
              '#', '.', '.', '.', '.', '.', '.', '.', '#' /n/
              '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#', '#' ]
print background

My problem is that it does not work. I am trying to use '#' for walls, and '.' for the ground. I figured that with using /n/ it would make a raw list, but it doesn't work. Without the /n/, the code just prints to the screen in a jumbled, two line mess. Any suggestions on making this work?

Karim.

The newline character is '\n' (including the quotes), not \n\.

Hope it helps,
Jeff

Another way to go at it

edge = "# "*8  + "#"
center = "# "  +  ". "*7  +  "#"

print edge
for j in range(0, 6):
   print center
print edge

In any case, you want each line to be a single string, so if you want it all in one list, it will be a list containing 8 strings, one for each line you want to print, not individual characters.

Woooee, that code worked, it got my dungeon created perfectly. Now, say I wanted to insert the player '@' into the middle of all this, how would I do this? I usually used the thing where I placed him in the 3rd string in the list, but I don't know how that would work with your code? Any suggestions?

The basis of what I am doing is trying to create one small dungeon that will allow for the following events:

fighting monsters
talking to NPC's
moving around

Inventory and such will not be implemented until I understand how to complete the following above actions. I am trying to create a roguelike for the Python members of DaniWeb, just a little gift for everyone who has helped me out with my codes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.