Hello guys!
I have a form and when the user sumbit it a javascript function will be called using onsubmit event. I need to call the function because I need some AJAX code to be executed. And after it's finished, the page needs to be redirected to another page. But I don't know how to do it.
If the new page was something constant I could have put its address in "action" of the form, but the new page is changeable and depends on the input the user has entered.
I tried to use "location.href=..." at the end of javascript function but it didn't work.
Is there any way to do it?

Thanks.

Soben,

There's essentially two ways to do this, depending on whether or not you need the form to be submitted.

1. To submit the form to a dynamically determined url: In the onsubmit handler, include a line of the format form.action = url; , and return true to allow form submission.
  2. To perform a redirect to a dynamically determined url without submitting the form: In the onsubmit handler, include a line of the format location = url; and return false to suppress form submission.

Airshow

Thanks buddy.
First one worked, but second one didn't. Would you please write the code?

Soben,

The oft omitted bit is a return in the HTML.

<form name="myform" action="..." method=..." onsubmit="return myOnsubmitHandler();">

In general it's better to attach handlers in javascript rather than HTML, eg.

onload = function() {
  document.myform.onsubmit = function() {
    return false; //or true, to control whether or not the form is to be submitted.
  };
}

Or, the same thing in jQuery:

$(document).ready(function() {
  $('form[name="myform"]').submit(function() {
    return false; //or true, to control whether or not the form is to be submitted.
  });
});

Airshow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.